This section of the website brings together everything you need to know about the RCOG’s exams. Each subsection contains all the necessary information for each exam, including details of the syllabus, question format, where and when you can sit the exam, FAQs and more.
IMPORTANT UPDATE for Part 1 and Part 2 MRCOG exam candidates entered for Erbil centre, Iraq - September 2014
With great regret, the College has taken the decision to cancel the forthcoming Part 1 and Part 2 MRCOG examinations due to be held in Iraq (Erbil) on 1 and 2 September 2014. This is due to the current deteriorating security situation in the country.
Candidates registered for these examinations should either:
- Apply to the Examination Department by Monday 18 August to sit their examination at another examination centre. The list of the Part 1 centres is here, and the Part 2 centres here
- Apply to the Examination Department for a transfer to a subsequent diet of the examination, or for a full refund.
In all cases, the address for enquiries is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership exam (MRCOG)
The Membership exam (MRCOG) is intended for people who wish to specialise in obstetrics and gynaecology (O&G). Passing the MRCOG grants you membership of the RCOG.
The MRCOG is a two-part exam:
- The Part 1 MRCOG is a written exam in the basic and clinical sciences relevant to O&G. It can be taken any time after graduation from a medical degree. Specialty trainees must pass the Part 1 MRCOG before progressing from ST2 to ST3.
- The Part 2 MRCOG consists of a written and an oral exam that assess the application of knowledge. The Part 2 MRCOG is part of the assessment and validation process for entry on to the UK Specialist Register and progress to a consultant post in O&G. Specialty trainees must pass the Part 2 MRCOG before progressing from ST5 to ST6.
- The Diploma exam (DRCOG) is aimed at doctors who do not wish to specialise in O&G but who wish to certificate their knowledge and interest in women’s health. The DRCOG is particularly aimed at general practitioners (GPs).
Become an MRCOG Examination and Education Centre
Our membership exam (MRCOG) is recognised internationally and is in high demand throughout the world. We're committed to developing new MRCOG Examination and Education centres around the world to help support our work to improve women's health care and enhance the practice of O&G around the world. Our 3-stage RCOG Educational Excellence Programme (REEP) sets out how we could work with you to develop a centre in your own country or region.
If you can't find what you're looking for, or have any questions, please email the Examination Department or call +44 20 7772 6210.