Skip to main content

Timeline: RCOG milestones spanning 90 years

1929

The British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is founded by Professor William Blair-Bell and Professor William Fletcher Shaw

1932

The British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists moves from Manchester to Queen Anne Street in London

1938

The British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is granted a Royal title by King George VI (then The Duke of York)

1947

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is granted a Royal Charter

1947

The RCOG awards a royal patronage to the Queen Mother (then Her Majesty The Queen)

1949

The Queen Mother (then Her Majesty The Queen) is admitted as an RCOG Honorary Fellow and Professor Hilda Lloyd is installed as the first female President of the RCOG

1951

Her Majesty The Queen (then Her Royal Highness Princess Elizabeth) is admitted as an RCOG Honorary Fellow

1957

The Queen Mother lays the foundation stone of the RCOG’s new home at 27 Sussex Place

1960

Her Majesty The Queen opens the RCOG’s new building

1987

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales is admitted as an RCOG Honorary Fellow

2001

The RCOG’s new Education Centre is opened and Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal attends the opening ceremony

2006

Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex is admitted as an RCOG Honorary Fellow

2018

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge becomes an RCOG Royal Patron