Instructions for candidates taking the DRCOG exam
Please read all the information carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in failing the examination.
Before the exam
Your candidate entrance ticket will be emailed to you.
Please check your entrance ticket very carefully and note where and at what time you must attend the examination (all times are local).
Please advise the Examination Department as soon as possible if the spelling of your name has been misinterpreted.
At the venue
Candidates are discouraged from bringing large amounts of luggage to exam venues, as there is limited space for storage. Luggage and items of clothing are left at your own risk.
Private parenting rooms (for attend to the caring needs of a child, including feeding and changing) vary at UK and international venues; please check directly with your venue for details.
There are no parking facilities available for candidates on College premises in London. Parking facilities vary at other UK and international venues; please check directly with your venue for details.
Attending the exam
Candidates must take care of all private/personal matters before the exam starts. Please dress appropriately in a smart and professional manner.
Light refreshments such as drinks and boiled sweets may be consumed quietly in the exam but the invigilators can ask you to stop eating or drinking if you are disturbing others. Try to use clear bottles and clear wrapping for your refreshments in the exam hall.
The examination will start on time.
No concession will be granted to any candidate who, for whatever reason, does not attend the examination at the correct time.
What to bring
When attending the examination you must bring:
- Entrance ticket
- Photographic identification
This must include your name (e.g. passport, hospital identification badge)
Candidates must provide identification to the satisfaction of the invigilators/examiners at the beginning of each session of the examination. Candidates who fail to provide identification will have their entry withdrawn.
Candidates require only their entrance ticket and photo ID. Pencils, paper and all examination material will be provided.
Not allowed in the examination hall: ink bottles, textbooks, papers, calculators, mobile phones, pocket computers or similar items.
No smoking is allowed and no smoking devices are permitted.
The start of the exam
- Candidates must not start the examination until instructed by the invigilator.
- Candidates will not be allowed to enter the examination hall after 30 minutes have elapsed.
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the examination hall until 60 minutes after the start of each paper.
During the exam
- Your candidate number should be written on the answer booklets and answer sheet (not your desk number).
- On all occasions you must show your name as stated on your entrance ticket.
- If a mobile phone rings during the examination, the candidate will be reported to the RCOG Examination and Assessment Committee and may have their results invalidated.
- Any form of communication between candidates during the examination is strictly forbidden.
- Copying answers is strictly forbidden. The College uses sophisticated anti-cheating software when processing the answer sheets, which detects patterns of duplication.
- Invigilators are not permitted to discuss questions.
- Any candidate wishing to attract the invigilator’s attention should raise their hand.
- Any candidate leaving the examination hall during the examination will be allowed to return only if they have been escorted while outside the hall.
- Candidates are not permitted to copy any part of the examination papers, and question books must not be removed from the examination hall.
- Question papers, answer sheets and all examination materials remain the property of the College at all times.
The end of the exam
- Two time warnings will be given before the end of each paper: 30 minutes before and 10 minutes before the end.
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the hall during the final 10 minutes of each paper.
- You must stop writing immediately when the invigilator announces that the exam has finished.
- Candidates must remain seated while the question booklets and answer sheets are being collected.
Results dates for the October DRCOG exam
Results will not be disclosed to a third party, so enquiries must be sent by yourself directly. Please do not ask a friend or relative to contact us on your behalf.
If you have any queries about your exam sitting, then please check our frequently asked questions.