The RCOG’s regulations on ATSMs
- National training number (NTN) holders, doctors occupying LAT posts (ST6/7 equivalent) and non-training grades (SAS doctors and consultants) can apply for ATSMs.
- NTN holders will be given priority for ATSM training since it is a mandatory requirement to complete two ATSMs for the award of CCT or CESR(CP).
- The registration fee and application form are the same for all applicants (please also see details of how to apply for ATSMs).
- Applicants must be working in the UK for the duration of the ATSM.
- Applicants must register for the ATSM prospectively and pay the Advanced Training registration fee.
- For some ATSMs, previous experience can contribute to the development of competence; however, the assessment of competence should only be performed following registration.
- For ATSMs where completion of a theoretical course is mandatory, attendance at a suitable theoretical course must take place no more than 3 years before the ATSM is completed.
- If attendance at a theoretical course is mandatory please send in a copy of your theoretical course certificate with your completion form. A theoretical course must have been attended within 3 years of the time of completion.
NTN holders and senior LATs (ST6/7 equivalent)
- ST6/7 and LATs (ST6/7 equivalent) can register for ATSMs.
- Applicants must have passed the Part 3 MRCOG.
- Applicants must have completed the intermediate competences from the logbook.
- NTN holders must start planning their ATSM in ST4 and aim to document their choice at the ARCP at the end of year 4. This ensures a full year (ST5) to organise, confirm and plan training for year 6.
- LATs (ST6/7 equivalent) may have had the opportunity to discuss ATSM plans at the ARCP in their previous LAT posts (particularly if the posts were in the same deanery).
- NTN holders must obtain a satisfactory ARCP outcome from year 5 before registering for an ATSM; LATs (ST6/7 equivalent) must have confirmed evidence of equivalent experience/competence.
- Applicants can register for more than two ATSMs concurrently providing the work intensity score is no greater than 3.0.
Non-training grades (SAS doctors and consultants)
- Applicants must have completed the equivalent of the intermediate competences from the logbook (as ascertained by the ATSM Director).
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 5 years in O&G.
- Applicants must have approval from their Clinical Director to register for an ATSM.
- The applicant’s most recent annual appraisal must have been satisfactory.
- Applicants can register for more than two ATSMs concurrently providing the work intensity score is not greater than 3.0, and with the approval of the Clinical Director and ATSM Director.
Find out more
If you need any help or advice, please email the Trainees' Coordinator at email@example.com or call +44 20 7772 6348.