Capability in Practice 4: The doctor is able to design and implement quality improvement projects or interventions.
This CiP is grouped under Professional Identity 1: Healthcare Professional.
Understands quality improvement (quality is safety, experience and efficacy)
- Understands the difference between quality improvement and research.
- Understands QI methodology such as Plan, Do, Study, Act cycles (PDSA).
- Understands the concepts of big data and national clinical audit.
- Appreciates the importance of stakeholders in QI work encouraging involvement with patient groups eg Maternity Voices Partnership.
Undertakes and evaluates impact of QI interventions
- Is actively involved in QI initiatives (examples include: clinical audit, guideline development, implementation of national guidance, service improvement).
- Considers the best way to share learning.
- Evaluates quality improvement projects and how these can work at a local, regional and national level.
Evidence to inform decision
- Local and Deanery Teaching
- RCOG eLearning
- Quality improvement project
- Guideline development and implementation
Mapping to GPCs
Domain 1: Professional values and behaviours
Domain 2: Professional skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Dealing with complexity and uncertainty
Domain 3: Professional knowledge
- Professional requirements
- National legislative structure
- The health service and healthcare systems in the four countries
Domain 4: Capabilities in health promotion and illness prevention
Domain 5: Capabilities in leadership and teamworking
Domain 6: Capabilities in patient safety and quality improvement