If you wish to undertake subspecialty training in a different deanery from your home deanery, this will be managed using the out of programme for training (OOPT) process.
This type of OOPT is exempt from the general OOPT requirement to obtain prospective approval from the GMC, as all subspecialty curricula have GMC approval already.
OOPT for subspecialty training isn’t normally extended beyond 3 years, although extensions may be considered on an individual basis.
- Before applying for a subspecialty training post in another deanery, discuss your intention with your home deanery’s Training Programme Director or Head of School
- You’ll need to give 3 months notice, unless you’ve agreed an earlier release date with your home deanery
- You’ll need support from both your home deanery and the host deanery for your subspecialty training
- Please email a copy of your deanery’s approved OOPT application form, signed by your deanery, to the Policy Coordinator (Quality) at the RCOG
Responsibility for your training
- Your home deanery will still be responsible for your ARCP (annual review of competence progression), but may decide to devolve this to your subspecialty training host deanery
- Your home deanerywill be responsible for your period of grace (the 6 months following your CCT), although this can be negotiated between the Schools and Deaneries
Find out more
For help and advice, please email the Policy Coordinator (Quality) or call +44 20 7772 7294.