This page provides information for trainees on how ultrasound training is delivered. Information for trainers is available in the trainers’ resources section of the site.
Support network for ultrasound training
The RCOG Curriculum Committee is responsible for the development of ultrasound training within the core and advanced curricula and links with representatives from the following organisations:
Deanery Ultrasound Coordinators
At a Deanery level, ultrasound training is coordinated by the Specialist Training Committee or School, who appoint a Deanery Ultrasound Coordinator. To find out who’s responsible in your area, see the list of Deanery Ultrasound Coordinators.
Deanery Ultrasound Coordinators:
- Support the local Ultrasound Educational Supervisors and ultrasound trainers to ensure delivery of good quality training
- Work closely with Heads of School and Training Programme Directors to ensure there are enough training slots at both basic and intermediate level
- Ensure access to the theoretical course, either locally or at the RCOG
- Allocate intermediate ultrasound training places
- Authorise completion of intermediate ultrasound training
For more information about the Deanery Ultrasound Coordinator role, please read the Deanery Ultrasound Coordinator job description.
Local Ultrasound Educational Supervisors
Within trusts, training is managed by a nominated local Ultrasound Educational Supervisor, who:
- Coordinates delivery of ultrasound training in a unit
- Identifies and supports trainers to ensure good quality training is delivered
- Allocates training slots as appropriate
The local Ultrasound Educational Supervisor can be a sonographer, radiologist, radiographer or obstetrician/gynaecologist. For more information about this role, please read the Ultrasound Educational Supervisor job description.
Ultrasound training is delivered by many different professional groups, such as sonographers, radiologists, midwives, nurses, obstetricians and gynaecologists.
Your trainers are responsible for ensuring you have access to good, quality ultrasound equipment and machines.
Find out more
If you need any help or advice, please email the Trainees' Coordinator or call +44 20 7772 6348.