This is one of the recommendations from the ‘departmental’ section of the RCOG/RCM undermining toolkit.
Consider human factors training
Human factors training is strongly advocated for everyone to improve outcomes. Training sessions could include:
- An overview of human factors
- What influences human behaviour
- Bullying and undermining and its effects on task performance for both the entire team and patient safety
- The importance of being approachable and supportive
- What happens when things go wrong
In addition, sharing learning from incidents which may include human factors across a whole region is also recommended so that learning can be spread widely. This particular intervention is currently also strongly advocated by the Patient Safety Collaborative.
References and further reading