Other pages in this section
4. What can I do to address a problem with poor workplace behaviour in my department?
General approach to tackling issues in your department
- Be kind – poor behaviours are usually inadvertent and intentional
- Have empathy – why might this be happening?
- Be brave and feel assured that addressing the issue is the right thing to do
- Ask for help and advice
- Get to know your local bullying policy
- Prioritise your wellbeing
- Do not feel you have to address the issue alone
- Do not criticise others using hindsight bias (e.g. ‘I would never have done that‘)
- Avoid gossip
- Do not shy away from the issue or excuse the issue e.g. “that’s just the way Mr x/Mrs y is and they’ve always behaved like that. They don’t mean it”
Specific advice for: