Poor workplace behaviours are experienced by people of all types and in all professions.
Sadly, O&G and maternity care are no exception.
In real-life, the facts and figures translate into the fact that many of those working in O&G are negatively affected by poor workplace behaviour. In maternity care intra- or interprofessional communication have been identified as critical contributory factors to negative outcomes in several official investigations/reports.6,7,8 You can further explore the wide-reaching negative effects of these behaviours on individuals, the team and our patients.
Most instances of bullying and undermining are unintentional and misunderstandings will occur BUT in the right environment these misunderstandings are addressed early, are less likely to escalate or to spread.
Use this toolkit to help you explore how to create positive workplace cultures in which poor behaviour is managed well and resolved fairly so your team can flourish. You may find our Module 8 "Addressing poor workplace behaviours and 'calling it out'" helpful.
3. https://www.gmc-uk.org/about/what-we-do-and-why/data-and-research/-/media/documents/nts-bullying-and-undermining-report-2014-final_pdf-58648010.pdf (Accessed 26 February 2021)
5. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/morecambe-bay-investigation-report-published (Accessed 26 February 2021)
6. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/morecambe-bay-investigation-report-published (Accessed 26 February 2021)
7. Each Baby Counts final report in 2020
8. First report of the independent review into maternity services at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust in 2020.
Registered charity no. 213280
10 –18 Union Street
Tel +44 20 7772 6200
Fax +44 20 7723 0575