The RCOG Basic Practical Skills course (BPS) is designed to introduce trainees to safe surgical techniques and obstetric clinical skills. The course is standardised to ensure common objectives, content structure and assessment methods are followed and can be linked to the RCOG Training Portfolio and OSATS.
The course is intended for trainees ST1-2 and is a mandatory requirement for entry into ST3, hence all the relevant basic skills for ST3 are covered.
There are three elements to the course:
- Pre-course eLearning tutorials: you will need to complete 12 online tutorials prior to attending the course, which have been designed to help you understand the theory and key issues behind the practical skills.
- One-day course online: lectures delivered by experienced faculty with the opportunity for interaction and to ask questions
- Post-course: the practical element which we can no longer run at the College for safety reasons. In order to enable you to complete this element of the course, we will send you an assessment form along with a letter to be presented to your supervisor with practical elements that you will need to demonstrate your competencies. In order to maximise your learning experience, it is recommended that you complete this element within six weeks of the course. Once all elements have been demonstrated it will need to be signed off by your College Tutor from your unit and sent to the RCOG.
Following submission of all paperwork, you will then be sent a certificate of completion for your records.
- By attending this course, you should be able to:
- Spend more time practicing basic operative obstetric and gynaecological skills required for Tier 1 and progression to Tier 2 working
- Sign off elements in the RCOG Training Portfolio Logbook and OSATS
- Complete the mandatory requirements for ST3
Who should attend
Basic Practical Skills Convenor
Miss Suzi Jackson MRCOG, Newcastle upon Tyne
Basic Practical Skills Assistant Convenor
Dr Asma Aziz MRCOG, London
Honorary Co-Directors of Conferences
Mr Philip Toozs-Hobson FRCOG, Birmingham
Mr Andrew Sizer FRCOG, Shrewsbury