The RCOG Basic Practical Skills course (BPS) is designed to introduce trainees to safe surgical techniques and obstetric clinical skills, in a structured workshop environment. The course is standardised to ensure common objectives, content structure and assessment methods are followed and can be linked to the RCOG Training Portfolio and OSATS.
Redesigned in 2014, the new two-day format enables trainees to focus on hands-on skills whilst in the classroom, by introducing pre-course eLearning materials including videos and assessments. The course also looks at the increasingly important topic of human factors and enhanced recovery principles, complementing the new RCOG curriculum. The course is intended for trainees ST1-2 and is a mandatory requirement for entry into ST3.
By attending this course, the trainee is able to:
- Spend more time practising basic operative obstetric and gynaecological skills
- Learn about new topics such as Human Factors and Enhanced Recovery pathways
- Sign off elements in the RCOG Training Portfolio Logbook and OSATS
- Complete the mandatory requirements into ST3
Who should attend?
- ST1 – ST3
- Foundation Years 1-2 with an interest in obstetrics and gynaecology
Bradford Teaching Hospitals, Field House Education Centre, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Duckworth Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD9 6RJ
Basic Practical Skills Convenor
Mr Wasim Lodhi MRCOG, London
Basic Practical Skills Assistant Convenor
Dr Madhavi Kalidindi MRCOG, London
Dr Padma Munjuluri MRCOG, Bradford