In January 2018 the India Liaison Group held its first 2-day seminar and workshop in Kolkata, India, organised in partnership with the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission (RKSM) Matri Bhavan, and in collaboration with the Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute.
The seminar followed-up a 1-day workshop in 2016 by RKSM and intended to showcase live operative techniques to 100 local doctors.
The first day of the workshop was aimed at educating consultants and post-graduates, on operative techniques such as Hysteroscopy, diagnostic hysteroscopy and colposcopy. These procedures were conducted in real-time and live streamed to the audience.
Later in the day, participants attended took part in scientific sessions in the following topics:
- "Gynaecological Cancer – Early detection"
- "Operative Laparoscopy & Management of Laparoscopic Complication"
- "Approaching Laparoscopic Surgery"
The 2-day seminar was organised by members of the India Liaison Group and RKSM.
The interactive workshop and lectures were conducted by:
- Dr Sharmistha Guha MRCOG (Consultant O&G, West Middlesex University & Hospital)
- Dr Parijat Bhattacharjee FRCOG (Consultant O&G, Northwest London Hospitals)
- Dr Ranijat Mondal (Head of Dept. at Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute)
- Dr Prosenjit Sarkar (Consultant, RKSM), Dr Kaushik Datta (Resident Surgeon, RKSM)
- Dr Jayanta Basu (Consultant, RKSM)
The scientific session was delivered by:
- Dr Dipanwita Banerjee (Gynaecological Oncology specialist, Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute)
- Dr Sharmistha Guha MRCOG
- Dr Parijat Bhattacharjee FRCOG
The second day was directed at nursing professionals and health workers on the topic of “Gynaecology & Obstetrics Emergency”. Dr Sharmistha Guha MRCOG and Dr Parijat Bhattacharjee FRCOG delivered a presentation on how to manage frequently arising O&G emergencies.
Some of the topics discussed were:
- Massive Obstetric Haemorrhage
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Perineal Care
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- Maternal Resuscitation
- Cord Prolapse
- Breech Delivery
- Twin Delivery
- Basic Gynaecology
Participants were divided up into small groups and had the opportunity to engage in hands-on training with the help of simulators.
Topics of mention during the interactive session were Maternal and Neonatal Resuscitation, Episiotomy Repair, Cord prolapse, Twin and Breech Delivery, as well as Integrated Management of Essential Emergencies.
The session was held by Dr Sharmistha Guha MRCOG, Dr Parijat Bhattacharjee FRCOG, and Smt Jhantu Datta Chowdhury (Nursing Superintendent, RKSM).