This page describes how we will implement the RCOG Leading Safe Choices programme in South Africa and Tanzania.
The programme is divided into three main areas:
Promoting best practices in postpartum contraception and comprehensive abortion care services
- Develop and distribute RCOG Best Practice Papers on postpartum contraception and comprehensive abortion care to the RCOG global network (16,000 Fellows and Members across 106 countries) and healthcare professionals working in women’s health
- Hold interactive seminars at international scientific conferences
- Use a variety of channels such as newsletters, membership publications and articles in international journals to distribute the papers
- Encourage a minimum of five countries to adapt the papers to their own country contexts
Introducing best practices and professional competence into high-volume maternity hospitals and midwifery units
- To develop and implement training courses on postpartum contraception and comprehensive abortion and post-abortion care (CAC/CPAC) alongside our partners in South Africa and Tanzania
- Facilitate mentorship for healthcare professionals in South Africa and Tanzania to ensure modern methods of family planning and CAC/CPAC become a routine part of reproductive healthcare services.
- Adopt a ‘Training the Trainers’ approach to establish and embed a training and support system in South Africa and Tanzania
The initial pilot will focus on approximately 20 high-volume maternity hospitals and midwifery units to maximise impact and inform future development of the initiative.
Increasing professional respect for family planning and comprehensive abortion care services
- Establish a formal certification/accreditation system in each country with a view to recognising competence; raising standing within the profession; and increasing the uptake and quality of service provision, in particular long-acting reversible methods of contraception and CAC/CPAC services
If you have any questions about Leading Safe Choices, please email email@example.com or call +44 20 7772 6241