In this section
This section of the site provides information for O&G trainees about working during pregnancy and maternity leave. It provides general guidance on the legal framework, service commitments, individual circumstances and continued training.
Other sources of information
If you can’t find what you’re looking for on these pages, please consult your employer, read your employer’s maternity leave policy or use the following sources of information.
- BMA information for working parents
Information about working during pregnancy, maternity leave, returning to work and life as a working parent
- UK government advice for working parents
Information about your rights and responsibilities during pregnancy, maternity/paternity leave and life as a working parent
- HM Revenue and Customs
Site contains information about statutory maternity pay, child benefit, etc.
- NHS Employers
Information about working during pregnancy and maternity leave, including specific advice for doctors in training
- Women in Surgery
Guidance on working during pregnancy, maternity leave, childcare and future career choices (e.g. flexible working)
- Medical Women’s Federation
Promotes the personal and professional development of women in medicine; their ‘Advice & Support’ section includes guidance on maternity, childcare, returning to work and less than full-time training
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) – information for new and expectant mothers
Useful information for you and your employer about your rights and responsibilities
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) – general guidance
Guidance on any health and safety concerns you may have
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
Guidance on your rights in the workplace
- Maternity Action
Guidance on your rights during pregnancy and as a working parent
- Hill E. So you want to be a medical mum? Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2008.
- Royal College of Physicians. Pregnancy: occupational aspects of management. London: RCP; 2013.
- Health and Safety Executive. Infection risks to new and expectant mothers in the workplace: a guide for employers. London: HSE Books; 1997 (free PDF download available).
- Health and Safety Executive. Working safely with ionising radiation: guidance for expectant or breastfeeding mothers.
- Health and Safety Executive. Workplace health, safety and welfare. Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 Approved code of practice. London: HSE Books; 1992 (free PDF download available).
- Health and Safety Executive. Five steps to risk assessment. London: HSE Books; 2011 (free PDF download available).
- Sex Discrimination Act 1975.