The CCT, or Certificate of Completion of Training, is the route to specialist registration for doctors who have completed a full GMC-approved training programme.
If you’ve undertaken any part of your training in posts that don’t have prospective GMC approval, you won’t be eligible for a CCT and will need to apply for a CESR(CP) or CESR to gain entry to the Specialist Register.
Frequently asked questions
How do I apply for my CCT?
On completion of your training you will be issued with an Outcome 6 form.
Please complete the CCT (StR) notification form and return to the college with the following documents. (Please ensure that you send a hard copy of all the documentation required, as failure to do so may cause a delay in your CCT application):
- Copies of all RITAs/ARCPs for each year of training
- Confirmation of successful completion of two ATSMs (this does not apply to subspecialty trainees or those still registered on the SpR programme)
- RITAs/ARCPS/evidence of successful progression for any LAT/FTTA/SHO posts you’re counting towards your training (this applies to doctors who were appointed above ST1)
- Evidence of GMC approval of any time out of programme (OOPT) you're counting towards your training
- An up-to-date CV
You’ll also need to complete an online GMC form. The link to this form will be emailed to you by the GMC. If you have not received this please let us know.
How long does the process take?
We aim to make a recommendation within 10 days of receiving your documents.
Is the CCT recognised in the EU?
A CCT in obstetrics and gynaecology is a recognised qualification in Europe provided that:
- You’re a national of an EU member state or have EU community rights (e.g. you’re the spouse of an EU national)
- You have a primary medical qualification that’s recognised by the EU
Alternatively, if you’re an EU national or have EU community rights, and have worked as a specialist in the UK for 3 of the last 5 years, your CCT will be recognised in Europe regardless of where you obtained your primary medical qualification. You’ll need a compliancy certificate from the GMC as proof.
If you don’t meet these criteria, you’ll need to apply for recognition through the relevant nation’s equivalent to the UK’s CESR process.
For more information, please email the Policy Coordinator (Quality) or call +44 20 7772 6294.