Skip to main content

Individual rights requests

How to make an individual rights request, including subject access rights

Under the new Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016, all individuals (data subjects) have a right to access or challenge the processing of their personal data being held and managed by an organisation. You exercise these rights by submitting an individual rights request to the College under one of the rights listed below:

  1. The right to be informed, e.g. fair processing/privacy notices and information
  2. The right of access, e.g. subject access requests (SARs)
  3. The right to rectification, e.g. correcting your data
  4. The right to erasure, e.g. deleting or removing your data
  5. The right to restrict processing, e.g. stopping your data being used
  6. The right to data portability, e.g. transferring your data easily
  7. The right to object, e.g. challenging what we’re doing with your data
  8. Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling, e.g. ensuring safeguards are in place so we don’t make potentially damaging decisions about you without any human involvement.

Your data is important to us so at the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (the College), we want to make it straightforward for you to access it.


How do I request access to my information or exercise any of my other Individual Rights?

  • Make a written or verbal request to the College (verbal requests should be followed up in writing).
  • Provide a copy of your photo ID - e.g. passport photo page, driving license, national identity card.


What do I need to include in my request?

  • State clearly what you want - You might not need all of the personal data that we hold about you. Helping us identify what you need will enable us to obtain this more quickly and accurately.
  • Include the following information:
    • Your name and contact details.
    • College number (if you have one).
    • Any details or relevant dates that will help us identify what you want  e.g. you may want to ask for:
      • Your personnel file.
      • Emails between ‘person A’ and ‘person B’ (e.g. from 1 June 2018 to 1 Sept 2018).
      • Personal data to be updated with new details.
      • Contact details to be removed from fundraising and marketing lists.
  • The simplest way to make your request is to complete the College Individual Rights Request form (Word document)
  • Please send the completed form and a copy of your photo ID to:
    Or post it to:
    Research and Information Services Team
    Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
    10-18 Union Street
    SE1 1SZ


Do I need to pay for my request?

Under the DPA and GDPR, all subject access and individual rights requests are processed free of charge unless they are clearly baseless or excessive.


How long does the College have to respond?

The College has 1 calendar month to respond, from the date we receive your fully completed request. 

The clock is paused if any part of your request needs to be clarified.

If your request is complex, we can extend the processing time up to 3 calendar months from the date of receipt.


Who do I contact if I need further information, advice or to make a complaint about my request?

If you have any further queries, a complaint or want to request an internal review, please contact the Research and Information Services Team at and we will respond to your request.

We can also be contacted on 020 7772 6790 from 9:00am – 4:30pm (UK time) Monday to Friday.

If you are unhappy with how we handled your request, your internal review or how we are processing your data, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

Please see the ICO website for details or contact them directly by email to or by post:

Customer Contact
Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane