Pelvic pain is any pain you feel in the lower abdomen or pelvis. Healthcare professionals consider pelvic pain to be long-term if:
- You experience it either constantly or intermittently for at least 6 months
- It happens at times other than when you have your period or sexual intercourse
Long-term pelvic pain is common. It affects around one in six women. Long-term pelvic pain is not a diagnosis in itself bur rather a description of a symptom.
This information is intended to help you if you have long-term pelvic pain. It covers:
- The main factors that may contribute to long-term pelvic pain
- What your doctors can do to investigate and identify the cause of your pain
- The most effectice methods recommended in the UK for managing long-term pain