Guidance for doctors and other healthcare professionals regarding the use of sodium valproate.
This guidance document is intended for doctors and other healthcare professionals across primary and secondary care, regarding the use of sodium valproate.
The advice is based on 2018 regulations issued by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority (MHRA) around the prescribing and dispensing of valproate. It looks at the more challenging issues that clinicians across primary and specialist care might encounter in daily practice. These include transition from paediatric to adulthood services, competence to consent to treatment, and confidentiality.
The following organisations have endorsed this guidance document:
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Royal College of Midwives
- Royal College of Nursing
- Association of British Neurologists
- EpilepSy Nurses Association
- British Paediatric Neurology Association
- Insititute of Health Visiting
- Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health