You are currently using an unsupported browser which could affect the appearance and functionality of this website. Please consider upgrading to the latest version or using alternatives such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

1.2 Who can I speak to for advice and support on what to do?

The issue of poor workplace behaviour is an emotionally and practically challenging issue.

No matter your situation there is always someone who can support you and give you advice. Below are just some examples.

Your choice of who to speak to is a personal one, and you may even need to speak to a number of individuals or organisations for advice.

  • Friends and family: Anyone who can listen and empathise will be able to help in this situation. You may find it helpful to talk it through with a close friend or relative who knows you well and can empathise.
  • Trusted colleagues: This could be a peer, a senior colleague or mentor. They will know the specific circumstances in your workplace and may have more practical information at the time. 
  • Workplace behaviour champions: A local champion if you have one, or your regional Workplace Behaviour Champion.
  • Freedom to Speak up Guardian: Freedom to Speak Up Guardians support workers to speak up when they feel that they are unable to do so by other routes. 
  • External Organisations e.g. ACAS, BMA (including their first point of contact service), RCM, RCN
  • Human Resources department
  • Trust networks: Many trusts have networks where employees can meet, support and be supported by those who share a characteristic such a BAME network.

Additional role-specific resources

For doctors

  • All: Clinical Lead, Clinical Director, Director of Medical Education at your trust
  • Trainees: Educational supervisor, College Tutor, TPD or Head of School, Trainee representatives, HEE/Deanery teams
  • MTIs: Educational supervisor, regional MTI champions, mentor or ‘buddy’
  • SAS Drs: Educational/clinical supervisor, your trust’s SAS Tutor +/- SAS advocate if they have one- visit you local HEE website to find out who they are
  • International medical graduates/New to the UK: IMG support groups including those on social media platforms, local IMG networks or representatives, trust networks if applicable

For midwives

  • Midwifery Manager
  • Head of Midwifery
  • Local RCM workplace representative
  • Professional midwifery advocate