This information is for you if you want to know about having a cervical stitch (also called cervical cerclage). You may also find it helpful if you are a partner, relative or friend of someone who is in this situation.
This information covers:
- What a cervical stitch is
- Why a cervical stitch might be recommended
- How a cervical stitch is put in and taken out
- What to expect after having a cervical stitch
- Risks of having a cervical stitch
- Other information and available
This patient information is based on the NICE guideline 25 on Preterm Labour and Birth, published in November 2015. The guideline contains a full list of the sources of evidence used.